Re: Multiple major modes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Multiple major modes
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 10:49:16 -0400

> That might solve the problem that makes advising bad for debugging.
> Would someone like to try it?

I don't find advising difficult for debugging.

Actually, the problem with defadvice (for me) is not when the advice is
enabled, but when it's not because then there's no trace anywhere that the
function you're looking at has a special relationship to some other piece of
code elsewhere.

So whenever I change a function (i.e. whenever I change some piece of code
in Emacs) I may potentially break an advice.  So if I don't want to break
other advices (or should I say "pieces of advice") I'd have to constantly
grep the code to see if the function I'm changing happens to be
advised somewhere.

When the advice is outside Emacs, I don't care so much about breaking it,
but if it's inside Emacs it's a more serious problem,

        Stefan