Re: ps-default-bg shouldn't be used for printing by default

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: ps-default-bg shouldn't be used for printing by default
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 22:45:57 +0200

Christian Schlauer <address@hidden> writes:

> ,----[ C-h v ps-default-bg RET ]
> | ps-default-bg is a variable defined in `ps-print.el'.
> | Its value is frame-parameter

[...]

> `ps-print-color-p' is t by default -- that means that the background
> colour of my frame will be printed when I use M-x
> ps-print-buffer-with-faces.
>
> The problem is that ink jet printers today are mostly colour ink jet
> printers, and even if I want the faces of a buffer to appear in
> colour on paper, I am not interested in the background colour of the
> frame.  It is a waste of ink and _time_ as it takes much longer to
> print the pages (the same holds for colour laser printers: a waste
> of toner and _time_).
>
> My proposal: change the default of `ps-default-bg' to white colour
> or some equivalent expression.

If we do that, we must be prepared to use the light-background colors
of the faces for printing even if the screen happens to be
white-on-black.

If people configure their back- and foreground for special effect,
they might be surprised...

However, as a default I agree that for printing (and paginated output
is not likely to be used as the equivalent of a screenshot), a white
background would appear a sensible default.