Re: Multiple major modes

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Multiple major modes
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 13:21:25 -0400

I now see that my previous concerns were misguided.
(I had misunderstood what the feature does.)
This feature doesn't cause a problem like that of advice.
It seems like basically a good idea.

I do have a criticism of one part of the API, though.

    (defun semantic-analyze-split-name-default (name)
      "Don't split up NAME by default."
      name)

It seems like a mistake to make the API depend on manipulating symbol
names.  I'd rather have a separate construct to define the default
meaning, giving the standard name, here `semantic-analyze-split-name'.

How does it actually work?