Re: Search minibuffer history

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Search minibuffer history
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 01:31:34 +0300

> Your code still needs a lot more comments.
> Every function and every variable should have a comment,
> and long functions should have an explanation of each part.

I surely will add more comments as well as write changes to etc/NEWS and
the Emacs Manual once the implementation reaches its final state.

>     This code prevents `isearch-message' from overwriting the minibuffer text
>     with the isearch prompt.  Without this condition `isearch-message' calls
>     `message' that puts the isearch prompt over the minibuffer content, so the
>     user can't see the search string highlighted in the minibuffer.
>
> I see the point of this, but if the isearch prompt is not displayed
> at all, how can the user understand the search?

The isearch prompt is displayed over the original prompt which is not
essential at the short time of searching in the minibuffer.  The original
prompt gets restored immediately once the search finishes in the minibuffer.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/