Re: slow make-frame + face initialization / importing x resources

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: slow make-frame + face initialization / importing x resources
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 19:08:52 -0400

    Frame creation time improves tremendously when I take out that call
    to `make-face-x-resource-internal'.
    Is the import of x-resources necessary on Mac and Windows?

I think it has to be done when the frame is created
because there is no chance to do it later.
Any of the faces used could be displayed in that frame
at any time.  And only the inner guts of redisplay will
notice when a face is first used in the frame.

Is it safe to set up the face for the frame
when it is first used in the frame?