Re: mode-line under vc

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: mode-line under vc
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 17:06:44 +1200

 > > In any case this binding (VC Menu) doesn't work if the window isn't already
 > > selected. You need to do something like mouse-major-mode-menu:
 >
 > > (defun mouse-major-mode-menu (event &optional prefix)
 > >   "Pop up a mode-specific menu of mouse commands.
 > > Default to the Edit menu if the major mode doesn't define a menu."
 > >   ;; Switch to the window clicked on, because otherwise
 > >      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 > >   ;; the mode's commands may not make sense.
 >
 > Are you sure it's needed?  It'd sound like a bug in keyboard.c (or somesuch)
 > if it is.

If you enable debugger on error, put a file under version control in a sole
buffer, do C-x C-b, click mouse-1 in the Buffer List buffer to select it, then
click mouse-1 the on the versrion control string in the mode-line and select
"Show Other Version" you get:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Buffer *Buffer List* is not associated
with a file")
  signal(error ("Buffer *Buffer List* is not associated with a file"))
  error("Buffer %s is not associated with a file" "*Buffer List*")

So it doesn't work, whereas doing something similar on mode-name does work.

Therefore a change is needed, although it might be different to the one I
suggested.