Re: XEmbed patches

From: Timo Savola
Subject: Re: XEmbed patches
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 11:59:13 +0300

On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 09:47:41AM +0100, Jason Rumney wrote:
> Timo Savola wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 09:40:28AM +0100, Jason Rumney wrote:
> >
> >> A better solution would be to remove the restriction that frames must be
> >> an integer number of characters wide (and high). Then the scrollbar and
> >> toolbar can be made the correct size without empty filler padding them
> >> out to a multiple of the character size.
> >
> > Sure, if it's doable.
>
> Don't you need that anyway for embedding?

Strictly speaking, no.  Emacs may request that, but it gets what it gets and
the remains are filled with the X window's background color...  Of course
this is also a visual problem (arguably bigger one than the scrollbar-gap
issue), but I haven't really thought about it because I've always resized
the panes in the embedders I've used ([1] and [2]) so that the space
reserved for Emacs is just right.

Now that you mentioned it, it is a big issue.

[1] http://encode.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://pida.co.uk/

timo