Re: Suggestion for C-t (transpose-chars)

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: Suggestion for C-t (transpose-chars)
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 15:05:19 +0200

"Mathias Dahl" <address@hidden> writes:

> learn as well, I would love to hear about in which scenarios people
> end up using this.

Unrelated to C-t; but my favourite prefix argument is - with the combo
of M-c (we in Germany have to capitalise some too many words
unfortunately 8-)) and often one realises this after spelling the word
out.

>> additional ones?  I find myself often typing C-b, C-b, C-t and C-e.
>> With the suggested change it would save 4 keystrokes (C-2 and C-t).
>
> A comment about counting keys like this, I think it is misleading to
> count that as 4 keystrokes, typing the same key twice is in my opinion
> much easier than moving the fingers to type another one so I think it

Your are definitely right, I oversimplified this.  I once compared the
key counts between Emacs and VIM where I tried to take this better
into account.  When you are interested I'll send it to you privately,
it's only text.

I think the most important hint for speeding up the key strokes as a
touch typist under Emacs is using the outer side of your palms (I
think it's called hypothenar in English) and the thumbs for ALT and
AltGr while you are using the fingers of the respective hand or the
other.

> uninformed opinion from one that have been touch typing (still
> learning) for some months, but isn't the `t' slightly easier to type
> than the `2', even more reducing the win?

No, even when the numbers are taking longer getting used to, if you
have the proper posture of your hands (the wrists a bit upheld) it
doesn't even take longer to type #s compared to chars.

    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany