Re: new VC backend: vc-git added, please test

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: new VC backend: vc-git added, please test
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 01:12:01 +0200

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

> Alexandre Julliard <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   > David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>   >
>   > > vc-git is not of release-quality (C-u C-x v = usually chokes while
>   > > trying to propose a "previous version").  However, the Emacs 23
>   > > release is not exactly around the door, and having it synched into
>   > > Emacs-CVS might be nice.  At the current point of time, it is
>   > > maintained in git's git repository.  Not all people with write access
>   > > there will have a copyright assignment.  So one would have to check
>   > > who actually wrote stuff in it.
>   >
>   > I'm the main author of vc-git.el and git.el, and I'd be happy to sign
>   > the needed paperwork if you want to use them.
>
> Thank you for doing this!
>
> vc-git.el is now checked in CVS HEAD.
>
> It is not enabled by default, it would be nice if people could test it
> a bit more before doing that.
>
> There are still VC functions that need to be implemented. See the Todo
> section and the beginning of the file.
>
> Quite a few of or the missing functions should be very easy: knowing
> what git command should be run should probably be enough.

Well, I had a working version of annotation before esr did the code
changes in CVS.  I include it for reference in case somebody wants to
look at what might be missing to make it run again.  Short of time,
and getting annoyed by other bugs and incompatibilities, I have pinned
my VC to a version before the change for now.