Re: vc-revert broken for Subversion files

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: vc-revert broken for Subversion files
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 22:03:59 +0200

() Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
() Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:06:25 -0400

   Please install your patch.

done.  however, anyone interested should see "my doubt" below.

   [no ChangeLog entry] sounds bad.

perhaps it was there and i just needed to do a cvs update.  my mistake;
sorry for the whining.  now i can see the entry (as described below).

   Was this part of esr's recent changes?

   I see that the change log entries for them are not up to the usual
   standards.  Was the change part of this?

   * vc-hooks.el: Generalize stay-local-p to operate on lists of
   files.  Change two keybindings to point to new function names.
   * vc-arch.el, vc-bzr.el, vc-cvs.el, vc-hg.el, vc-mcvs.el, vc-rcs.el,
   vc-sccs.el, vc-svn.el: These now implement the NewVC-fileset.
   * vc.el: Adapted for NewVC-fileset, but no functional changes yet.

yes.

unfortunately, even w/ this ChangeLog entry, i am unable to determine the
intent (sense) of the "generalization".  my doubt is as follows:

when applied to one file the concept of staying local is easy to
rationalize: if stay-local-p, enable optimizations.

when applied to many files, i can imagine two equally valid policies:
(a) if any file of the list is stay-local-p, enable optimizations.
(b) if all files of the list are stay-local-p, enable optimizations.

as is (just checked in), the code supports (a) but not (b).  could
maintainers of client code give this some thought, and confirm or revise
the code accordingly?  it comes down to "any" vs "all" semantics, of
which i'm slightly paranoid, having been bitten in a previous life...

the more i think about it, the more (b) would make sense (AND gate),
since optimizations may not be possible if any one file in the list is
NOT stay-local-p.  this boolean stuff is (simply ;-) weird...

thi