Re: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 00:45:11 +0300

>       This requires some related modifications: the startup
>     screen should be static because when the user want to clink on a link, it
>     shouldn't disappear just before clicking on it when it happens to be at
>     the same time as to show the next splash screen.  This would be annoying.
>
> I agree.  However, part of the reason why there are two fancy splash
> screens is to present more information than will fit comfortably in
> one.  If we don't use the current solution (switching between two
> splash screens), we need another solution.

With the patch it displays both screens on one.  The second screen was just
4 additional lines, so information fits perfectly on one screen.

>     Another necessary change is to allow point movements commands in the
>     startup splash screen to be able to move point to the link and type RET to
>     activate it.  Currently, any key causes the splash screen to exit, and
> this
>     key is applied to the underlying buffer.
>
> Obviously part of this change is that that won't happen any more.

OK, so this is a good change.

>     The following patch adds a keymap common to the startup splash screen and
>     the About screen with keys `q' and SPC to quit from them.
>
> I don't understand -- what does it mean to "quit" from the splash
> screen?

"quit" means to kill the buffer with the splash screen.

>     This patch doesn't contain more necessary changes because including them
>     in one patch would create a mess.  A separate patch later will add more
>     links to the startup screen and to normal-splash-screen, revert changes to
>     save *scratch* buffer, and add a new option `visit-on-startup'.
>
> In this one case, I think we want to see all the patches put together.
> The reason is that I am not ready, now, to decide to take this route.
> I might choose it once I see it in its mature form.
>
> In other words, it is needful to develop the mature form and present
> the combined patch.

I'll present the combined patch after an agreement on a new
customizable option.  Is it OK to add `visit-on-startup'?
Should it obsolete `inhibit-splash-screen'?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/