Re: A system for localizing documentation strings

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: A system for localizing documentation strings
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 16:22:46 +0900

On 27 juil. 07, at 14:04, Richard Stallman wrote:

Most programmers all around the world learn English, because most
of what they want to read is written in English.
I don't think that is likely to change any time soon.

I think you should take a look at book stores in any city outside the English speaking world.

There are enough books on any language to satisfy any programmer from beginner to engineer.

Even in the small town when I live in Japan you can find Paul Graham's books in Japanese. And more books on Lisp than in the small French town where I used to live.

I am amazed English programmers still believe their industry still revolves around their native language. This has not been the case for more than a decade: exactly when my small town bookstore stopped to sell the English versions of O'Reilly's books. Now most of them are translated. SUN's books are translated. Knuth's books are translated.

There is absolutely _no_ need whatsoever for Japanese people to learn _any_ bit of English to become excellent programmers.

Jean-Christophe Helary