Re: A not quite stylish proposal for command line processing

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: A not quite stylish proposal for command line processing
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 18:57:12 +0200

>     It would allow to write
>
>     emacs --eval '(ediff-files (*argv++) (*argv++))' "$FILE1" "$FILE2"
>
> It is a cute hack, but does anyone really want to use this?

The problem is that the equivalent (pop command-line-args-left) is the
only way to pass strings from the shell or elsewhere without having to
requote them as Lisp strings.  (*argv++) might be quite over the top,
but at least (pop argv) would still be quite concise, much more
Lispish, and it might make it easier for people to actually find the
respective variable.

On a different tack, currently emacsclient behaves different when
parsing --eval and command line arguments and does not support
command-line-args-left.  I am currently fixing this in server.el.
Making emacsclient mimic the normal Emacs commandline more closely
makes it easier to substitute one for the other.

It may be somewhat pointless in checking this in before the multi-tty
merge, but at least I hope to be able to provide a patch for
discussion.

--
David Kastrup