Re: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 09:46:44 +0200

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

>> > (defcustom visit-on-startup nil
>> >   "What Emacs visits when it starts up.
>> > A non-nil value is a string naming a directory, file, or buffer
>> to visit.
>> > If nil, then the splash screen is displayed."
>> >   :type '(choice
>> >           (directory :tag "Directory"      :value "~/")
>> >           (file      :tag "File"           :value "~/new.txt")
>> >           (string    :tag "Buffer"         :value "*scratch*")
>> >           (const     :tag "Splash Screen"  nil))
>> >   :group 'startup-display)
>> >
>> > The value is a string or nil. If you choose `Buffer', then you
>> > can enter any string (without completion). If the string names a
>> > buffer that exists at startup, such as *scratch* or *Messages*,
>> > then that buffer is visited (in the proper mode). If the string
>> > names a nonexistent buffer, then that buffer is created and
>> > visited.
>>
>> You mean: then that _file_ is visited.  It does not make sense to
>> visit a buffer.
>
> Oh, if you insist. I think we could use "visit" loosely here, to get the
> point across, but if you want to be pedantic about it, then we shouldn't say
> "visit" the splash screen either. So change it to speak of "visiting" a file
> or directory, "displaying and selecting" a buffer, and "displaying" the
> splash screen. Or whatever terminology is PC.
>
> Call the option "what-to-do-at-startup" if you like ("And tomorrow morning,
> we shall have what to do after firing. But today, today we have naming of
> parts.").
>
>> What does "exist at startup" mean?  At the time the splash screen
>> might get displayed, .emacs is already processed, and any number of
>> buffers might be loaded already (including a whole desktop).
>
> And?
>
> If the string value of the option names a file or directory, then
> visit it.

You mean, if the name is "*scratch*" and in the current directory
at the time the desktop finished loading, there exists a file named
"*scratch*", this should be visited?

And if the current directory at the time of the startup happens to be
"/address@hidden:/home/g/gnudist" because there was the last
file loaded, then it should go through a remote connection and check
for the existence of "*scratch*" there?

> If not, and if the value names one of those numerous buffers "loaded
> already" (do we "load" buffers, BTW?),

No.  Files are visited by loading them into buffers.

> then display and select it. If not, and the value is a string,
> create, display, and select a buffer with that name.
>
>> Those numbers in general _don't_ have a buffer name corresponding to an
>> actual complete file name (there certainly won't be a buffer named ~/
>> even if ~/ is already visited at the time the splash screen might get
>> displayed).
>
> And?
>
> If the string value is "~/", then visit the home directory.

You have provided no coherent logic that would have this effect
without a lot of drawbacks.

> If the string names an existing buffer, then display and select it;
> if not, create, display, and select a buffer with that name. Why
> would such a buffer need to "have a buffer name corresponding to an
> actual complete file name"?

Because visiting a random file depending on just where we are at
startup is not useful behavior.

> I still don't get the point or the difficulty here.

On that point I agree.

--
David Kastrup