Re: [RfC] Saving narrowing information within window configuration

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [RfC] Saving narrowing information within window configuration
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 14:44:57 +0200

"Tobias C. Rittweiler" <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> "Tobias C. Rittweiler" <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > As far as I can see (Emacs v22.0.91.1), narrowed regions are not
>> > restored by saved window configurations. I propose to change that.
>> >
>> > Comments?
>>
>> Don't like it.  This is not about what parts of a buffer are
>> displayed, but which parts are accessible.
>
> I think window configurations are mostly used for saving and
> restoring the state as seen by the user, aren't they? So restoring
> narrowing just seems to be the right thing.

Narrowing is not a part of the window configuration.  Strictly
speaking, I already find that restoring point and mark is a mistake
here: window-point is the only thing that should be restored in each
window (if there is a currently active window, this will incidentally
also restore point, but that can't be avoided).

> (If restoring narrowing by default is a change that is too invasive,
> I'd have nothing against making it optionally.)

It is simply a mistake to do so.  Narrowing is not a feature of the
display, but of buffer accessibility.  You would not think of doing
"undo" until the state of the window configuration is reached, even
though buffer changes affected the state as seen by the user, would
you?

In my opinion, narrowing is of a similar degree.

--
David Kastrup