Re: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 20:48:25 +0300

>> Get rid of the image. Or, display the image once only for ~ two
>> seconds on its own, then switch to a static splash screen with just
>> text. It would still be fancy in terms of fonts and colours.
>
> I agree with this. The image is nice and all but it kinda draws away
> the focus from the useful information, and it consumes much screen
> space.

Many popular applications have a project logo on the startup page,
and there is no problem with this.

> I like the way GNUS does it, displaying the image while it loads.

Really what GNUS displays is the splash screen - an image that appears
while a program is loading.  Emacs doesn't display the splash screen while
it is loading.  It only displays the startup page.  I'm not sure whether
it's good to display an image while Emacs is loading.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/