Re: make-network-process's gethostbyname usage

From: Alexander Kotelnikov
Subject: Re: make-network-process's gethostbyname usage
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 13:51:29 +0400

KFS> Alexander Kotelnikov <address@hidden> writes:
>> Hello.
>>
>> make-network-process calles gethostbyname, but never calls
>> res_init. The problem, which appears is: if contents of
>> /etc/resolv.conf was changed old dns servers are unavailable,
>> gethostbyname still tries them, not new ones. So this bug is pretty
>> much the same as http://bugs.debian.org/438680 (which has a patch).
KFS>
KFS> Is res_init available on all platforms which have gethostbyname ?

I am alsmost sure, no. BTW I think on my linux box getaddrinfo() is
used instead of gethostbyname(), but anyway, res_init is needed. And
its presence really helps: made a hack on emacs22-22.1+1 yesterday at
home and today I had not had to restart my emacs with gnus in the
office.

KFS> Otherwise, we need to arrange for configure to test for its
KFS> existence...

IIRC my fgrep res_init found some occurrences in autoconf/autoheader
emacs files.

--
Alexander Kotelnikov
Saint-Petersburg, Russia