Re: vc-dired

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: vc-dired
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 18:51:06 -0700 (PDT)

Masatake YAMATO <address@hidden> writes:

  > >   > I was interested in merge DVC to GNU Emacs. However, these days, I am
  > >   > busy and I get interests to extend vc-dired, so I've just asked DVC
  > >   > developers to assign another people for working on the merging task.
  > >
  > > Given that you are interested in vc-dired, can you please look into
  > > these issues:
  > >
  > > - pass --ignore= to ls so that it does not recurse into things like
  > >   .svn directories
  > >
  > > - If vc-dired dot show any files it displays the message: "No files
  > >   locked under DIRNAME". I suppose the "locked" terminology comes from
  > >   RCS, and it probably does not mean anything to most people
  > >   nowadays.
  >
  > O.K. I'll take a look for these issues.
  > Give me time. A bit busy now.

Here's another issue to consider:

This code in vc-dired-hook:

         ;; ordinary file
         ((and (vc-backend filename)
                (not (and vc-dired-terse-mode
                           (vc-up-to-date-p filename))))
          (vc-dired-reformat-line (vc-call dired-state-info filename))
          (forward-line 1))

Is the vc-backend call necessary? It ends up calling vc-registered and
that can be expensive for the backends that run a program to determine
that. The -dir-state method computes the state for most (all?)
files...
I don't understand this code very well, but if it can be simplified,
it might result in a significant speedup for vc-dired.

Can you please take a look?

Thanks

        --dan