Re: address@hidden: Eamcs 22.1 comint-scroll-show-maximum-output bug]

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Eamcs 22.1 comint-scroll-show-maximum-output bug]
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 23:54:44 -0400

Richard Stallman wrote:

> I don't think it was for the sake fo comint-scroll-show-maximum-output.
> Why do you think so?

Because the changelog entry looks like this:

        * comint.el (comint-mode): Locally set scroll-conservatively.
        (comint-postoutput-scroll-to-bottom):
        comint-scroll-show-maximum-output is active only when point is at end.

> My 2005 message seems to say it was for the sake of
> comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-input.

I don't know how you reach that conclusion.

>     1) Don't set it to 10000 in comint buffers, since it doesn't seem to
>        be needed.
>
> How did you reach the conclusion that it isn't needed?

I could answer that more easily if you could tell me how you reached
the conclusion that it _is_ needed.

I find nothing in devel, bugs, or pretest-bug when searching for
comint or scroll-conservatively in the relevant time.

emacs22 -Q
M-x shell
M-: (setq comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-input t)
press return a lot to get shell buffer longer than window height
scroll to top
type "ls"
-> window scrolls so that end of buffer is in the middle of the screen

Repeat the above with scroll-conservatively set to 0. No change.

You can leave it set at 10000 if you want. I don't know how to solve
the current, well-defined problem. Perhaps someone else does, but
nobody seems to be jumping in with suggestions.