Re: Change in emacsclient behavior

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Change in emacsclient behavior
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 10:26:44 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
>> CC: address@hidden
>> Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:21:35 -0400
>>
>>     > For people that normally don't make new frames, this will be a hassle.
>>
>>     Yes, I agree.  Frames popping up without my say-so are a nuisance.
>>
>> Would you like to fix this?
>
> I don't think this is a good idea, since my free time will be
> severely limited in the near future, and on top of that, I'm not
> familiar at all with the multi-tty code and the changes it
> introduced into Emacs.

It is not like we have an abundance of those who are familiar with it
and have time working on it.  Is there even one?  At least, the set
might be so small that it does not include people beyond the creators,
so they might not be overly inclined to back out changes they
considered a good idea.

As far as I can tell, multi-tty is one package including several
things, some of which may more reflect the author's personal
preferences rather than actual technical requirements for the
multi-tty functionality.

Boiling down the multi-tty work to a level where it basically includes
those things necessary and desirable will be work.  It might have been
easier to manage while there was still a separate branch, but there
was ample opportunity to do so before the merge, and it did not really
make people work on that (myself very much included).  Like before,
things don't fix and document and simplify themselves.