Re: svn icons in the toolbar

From: joakim
Subject: Re: svn icons in the toolbar
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 09:53:30 +0200

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <address@hidden> writes:

> Richard Stallman wrote:
>
>>     I don't think there is any trouble here.
>>
>>     It will fall back on xpm icons.
>>
>> If they are good enough, why not simply use them always?
>> Why use other formats at all?
>
> Well, "fall back" tends to imply "not as good".
>
> Aesthetically, the XPM icons may be serviceable for a fallback but
> they aren't "good enough" when the other programs on your desktop are
> using PNG or SVG icons. That's why I was motivated to write my patch
> in the first place. ;)

Disclaimer: I always disable the toolbar.

That said, I also wonder why converting png:s to xpm wouldnt be
equivalent. Does the png library handle alpha channels and
anti-aliasing to the background conveniently, which the xpm library
presumably doesnt? Or what is the technical cause for xpm:s visual
inferiority?

I can understand that SVG:s are superior when scaling of course.

--
Joakim Verona