Re: 23.0.50; savehist save invalid syntax

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; savehist save invalid syntax
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 11:16:20 -0700 (PDT)

>     With this much complexity, my temptation would be to provide a
>     print-readable function (or an optional argument to an existing
> printer)
>     that signalled if it  were asked to print something that has no read
>     syntax.
>
> I wouldn't mind adding that feature if someone wants to do it.
> It should be controlled by a variable.

I've implemented that feature.  I took Stefan's suggestion and made the
variable be a function that took over printing (or t for signaling as in
my original suggestion).  The patch is attached; please bear with me as I
think it's my most complex foray into Emacs' C thus far and introduces a
new macro and such.  It is, however, tested.

On a side note, I see that this is an extension of the variable
`print-readably' in XEmacs.  It doesn't follow naming convention, but
perhaps my new variable `print-unreadable-function' should be named or
aliased to `print-readably' for compatibility.

Meanwhile, savehist needs to use this.  It actually already has a hack in
it that uses `prin1' and `read' (or `print-readably' on XEmacs) to detect
unreadability; one could certainly use this instead of the new printing
feature.  But for cleanliness and completeness, I removed that trick and
replaced it with handlers for the unreadable signals that, now, both
varities of Emacs will generate.  (Of course, I also actually implemented
the code to skip unprintable history elements, instead of skipping the
entire history or so.)  This second patch is completely untested because
I'm unfamiliar with savehist.

Davis

shipping.