Re: display-completion-list should not strip text properties

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: display-completion-list should not strip text properties
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 16:42:25 -0700 (PDT)

> If a person is listening to Emacs (via Emacspeak) because they are
> driving a car, I do not want them on the same road as me if the
> docstring fails them.  I can imagine all too well of someone else
> taking is eyes off the road to look at a graphic or icon on a computer
> screen.

Er, what?  I've never heard of anyone consulting Emacs docstrings while
driving.  I'm much more worried about people trying to watch movies or
read (with their eyes, because they don't know about Emacs or Emacspeak)
email while on the road.  The possibility that we might tempt someone so
foolish with a pretty picture in a manual or docstring is not worth
considering.  That said, there might of course be other reasons
(stylistic, technical, or accessibility-oriented) to have text-only
docstrings; this just isn't one as far as I can tell.

Davis

shipping.