Re: multi-tty breakage on MS-Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: multi-tty breakage on MS-Windows
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 19:29:45 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 08:32:38 -0700
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   >     Is this incompatibility an absolute must?
>
> I think so, the communication between the emacsclient and emacs is
> more complex now, more stuff is sent over the wire.

Too bad.  This will make life harder for those who, like me, routinely
run several different versions of Emacs (to test each one of them at
least to some extent).

>   >   . "emacs -nw" crashes on startup; backtrace attached below.
>
> This is a known problem, Jason Rumney stated that this does not work
> in his message announcing that multi-tty was ported to Windows.
> Can you please help fixing it?

I will, if I find enough time.  This is made harder by almost complete
lack of documentation of how multi-tty works.  Can someone please make
an effort of explaining it in plain English?  The changes installed as
result of the merge are extensive and very invasive, and it's hard to
figure them out without some guidance.  Judging by the amount of
problems we had lately on any platform but GNU/Linux, I think we will
need much more working knowledge of this feature before we can go on
with merging unicode-2 etc.

Also, how come Karoly is suddenly silent or unavailable for help when
his work is being installed and used on platforms he obviously didn't
try?  It's annoying, to say the least: such a significant change
becomes almost completely unsupported the moment it's merged into the
trunk.