Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 01:59:12 +0300

> The way to win people's heart is not by making them unhappy.
>
> "Welcome! To learn about Emacs, press F1 C-a or use the Help/About menu."

Good idea!  Just one line gives all necessary information about how to get
more help.  We can even make it more visible by highlighting it in bold red.

> Use an idle-timer to make sure that for the first 30 seconds of
> idleness, regardless how Emacs has been started, this message is not
> obscured for longer than 5 seconds (of course, unless the startup
> screen _is_ actually being displayed which would be the default for an
> Emacs started without command line options and not, say, loading a
> desktop

Yes, seeing the startup screen after loading a desktop instead of the
last saved file is the same annoyance as for starting Emacs with a file.
Furthermore, loading a desktop means that the user has already seen the
startup screen at least once on the previous session before saving the
desktop.

> or doing other startup operations ending in a dedicated buffer).

Like for instance,

emacs --eval '(info)'

when the user wants to use the Emacs Info reader instead of the standalone
Info reader, and sees the startup screen instead of the Info buffer.
The standalone Info reader does not do such bad things.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/