Re: 23.0.50; delete vs deletechar

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; delete vs deletechar
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 20:20:44 -0700

  > [I sent this message a few weeks ago but did not get a response.
  > Could we get the discussion moving again?]
  >
  >     That can only be right if normal-erase-is-backspace-mode is
  >     a terminal-local variable.
  >
  > normal-erase-is-backspace-mode is a function, not a variable.
  > And it seems to be designed to affect the current terminal only.
  >
  > normal-erase-is-backspace is a customizable variable, and I can't find
  > anything to make it terminal-local.  So I think customizing it
  > probably has a bug.
  >
  > I do not know any way to test Emacs with multiple terminals.

You can do:

emacs -f server-start

and then:

emacsclient -t

on one or more terminal.

  > Can someone else please test the function and the variable?
  > Then please reply with a report.

Disclaimer: I never understood all the details of
normal-erase-is-backspace (starting with the name).

I tested the function and it's effects seem to be correct, and it
applies only to the frame on the terminal where it is run from, it
does not affect the other terminal frames.

I don't know how to test the variable, I hope someone that knows how
it is supposed to work can do it.