Re: Folding emacsclient into emacs

From: dhruva
Subject: Re: Folding emacsclient into emacs
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 09:38:54 +0530

Hi,
 These are my personal views with my current/limited understanding of
the whole topic.The simplest way to handle all camps is to show the
splash screen is handle the following possibilities:

1. if the user does not have a dot emacs (here we assume a seasoned
emacs user will have a dot emacs).
2. If the user has a dot emacs interpret it:
     a. If there is an explicit statement to hide the startup splash  screen,
         honor it.
     b. Check the time stamp of the dot emacs with the emacs executable, if
         emacs executable is newer, show the splash screen (with an option to
         disable it in the main screen)
     c. If there is way to store the dot emacs compatibility by
storing versions
         in a list, we could check if the current version of emacs is
newer than
         the one for which dot emacs was written. Show the splash screen and
         an option to disable by adding the current version into the
list. The list
         can be similar to 'custom-set-variables' /'custom-set-faces'.

IMHO, it is quite impossible to satisfy the different types of users
of Emacs. I see this approach in most GUI based tools on M$. There
will be a tip of the day and startup dialog that pops up with a check
box to disable it. Emacs should be no different. If someone is trying
to open a file from command line, it is clear the user wants to edit a
file and not get interrupted by a startup screen.

-dky

--
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Contents reflect my personal views only!