Re: mouse-autoselect-window

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: mouse-autoselect-window
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 12:16:46 +0200

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 09:02:50 +0200 martin rudalics <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm afraid that autoselection between windows of the same frame only
> is somewhat very difficult to achieve.  The attached patch should
> correct the behavior observed by Drew though.  Could you please try?

I applied the patch to window.el of the released Emacs 22.1, since I
don't have the EMACS_22_BASE source, byte-compiled the file and
redumped emacs.

Now when I make mouse-autoselect-window t and focus-follows-mouse nil,
then moving the mouse from one frame to another raises the latter
without putting it in focus.  But in the newly raised frame the mode
line of the window the mouse is over still becomes active and the tool
bar still changes appropriately.  Do you consider this correct
behavior?

Moreover, when I make mouse-autoselect-window a number, the behavior
is strange and rather complicated: if the unfocussed frame does not
have split windows, then it does not get raised when the mouse is
moved over it; if it does have split windows, then moving the mouse
over it always raises it after the delay, but only if I alternate
between which of the split windows I first move the mouse over -- if I
try moving over the same window first as I did the previous time, it
mostly does not get raised, but sometimes does, suggesting a timing
issue.  And moving the mouse back from the unfocussed to the focussed
frame shows the same behavior with respect to raising (i.e., only if
it is split and with the same alternation and timing issues).  And as
above, the active mode line and the tool bar change regardless of
focus or raised-ness.

BTW, sorry I have followed up on testing your previous patch; I didn't
get any further using edebug and haven't had time to try to understand
how the code works.  But I'd be happy to try out any specific
instructions.

Steve Berman