RE: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 19:00:19 -0700

> > This is madness. We are going overboard, trying to compensate for things
> > that we never should have done in the first place. Who will try
> > to close a window by resizing it to infinitessimal oblivion?
>
> I would.  Based on experience with many other applications where you drag
> separators to resize various areas.

Fair enough. I admit that I too have done that (many, no; some, yes). But
only after having first looked for a button or menu item to remove the pane.
I've felt that UIs that have that as the only way to hide a pane are poorly
designed. Such behavior is not obvious to a new user, IMO. Imagine if that
were the only way to close a frame: shrink it down to nothing.

You say you would try doing that based on experience, and I think that's the
point here. Eventually, trial and error led to learning the workaround, and
once learned, it's ready to try on another app that also has no visible
indicator (button etc.). I'd rather we offer something more obvious.