Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 16:05:53 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I agree, and I even more like three lines tooltip as this
>> for this case:
>
>>      mouse-1: select (drag to resize)
>>      mouse-2: maximize
>>      mouse-3: delete
>
>> But, for echo area, I prefer one line tooltip.
>
> I think that echo-area tooltips deserve to be massaged to avoid this kind of
> mess: Drew uses a single-line vry-long minibuffer-only frame, so any
> multiline message in the echo area is undesirable.  David OTOH seems to use
> the more common 80-columns frame with its own resizable echo-area, so long
> text is bad but multiple lines are not.

Oh, not at all: _iff_ I were using the echo area for tooltips, I would
want the tool tip to be as long as the echo area.  But I am using
popup frame tooltips, and for those, a single long line is quite ugly.

And I think it perfectly fine to generally use as few lines as
possible for echo-area tooltips.  But for the _regular_ tooltips,
that's not pretty.

--
David Kastrup