Re: scroll-conservatively default

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: scroll-conservatively default
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 13:20:57 -0800

address@hidden (Johan Bockgård) writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
  >
  > > Then please let's do this by default. The current default of 0 for
  > > `scroll-conservatively' does not seem to be very helpful.
  >
  > It does to me. I *like* Emacs's default scrolling behavior.

There are 2 things here:
1. Can you please explain why is it better to have scroll-conservatively
be non-zero?

2. Defaults should not be chosen based on what people that can write
their own .emacs like. They should be chosen but for the benefit of
people that do not have a .emacs. Emacs should try to be consistent with
the general accepted behavior of other applications. And only try to be
different after very careful consideration.