Re: English error in doc-string of isearch-mode-end-hook-quit

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: English error in doc-string of isearch-mode-end-hook-quit
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 01:15:27 +0100

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 00:29:40 +0100 Leo <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> ================================
> isearch-mode-end-hook-quit is a variable defined in `isearch.el'.
> Its value is nil
>
> Documentation:
> Non-nil while running `isearch-mode-end-hook' if user quit the search.
> ================================
>
> should 'quits' be used instead 'quit'?

I just saw that this was changed:

2007-11-10  Juri Linkov  <address@hidden>

        * isearch.el (isearch-mode-end-hook, isearch-mode-end-hook-quit):
        Fix docstring.  Reported by Leo <address@hidden>.

But I think the doc string was right.  The value gets changed and the
hook runs after the user has quit the search (`quit' is past tense).
Using the past perfect `has quit' would also express this and perhaps be
less confusing than the simple past tense.  (The simple present tense
can be understood this way, but it also wrongly can be understood as
implying that the hook is already in effect when the users quits the
search.)

Steve Berman