Re: always put Customizations in `custom-file', never in `user-init-file

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: always put Customizations in `custom-file', never in `user-init-file'
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 22:07:52 +0000

Drew Adams wrote:
> Now that we have a good alternative (`custom-file'), I
> think that should be used exclusively.

The alternative has always been there, in what cases is it not used now?

When custom was first introduced, the default name for this file was
.custom.el, so the decision to put everything in .emacs where the user
can find it was a concious one, probably for good reasons. I certainly
disagree with your proposal to restrict the value of custom file to
actively prevent users from putting customizations in their
user-init-file, and with having Emacs move customizations that are
already there.