Re: always put Customizations in `custom-file', never in `user-init-file

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: always put Customizations in `custom-file', never in `user-init-file'
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 00:06:51 +0100

> The other thing to note is that this was typically reported by people
> using Emacs and trying XEmacs.  Normally you don't have errors in your
> init file. :-)
>
> I think separate custom-file and automigration are both good ideas.

I don't think automigration is a good idea.  The one point of time where
it happens is when you try out a new version of Emacs/XEmacs the very
first time, and that is exactly when you don't want to have it change
your setup or nag you about it while you are still in test drive mode.

> In hindsight, yes, but we had to learn that from experience.  The
> experience is there, I'd like you to benefit from it.

And that is appreciated.