Re: MAC_OS_X cpp macro?

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: MAC_OS_X cpp macro?
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:08:18 +0900

>> On a related note: do we have somewhere a list of such CPP defines
>> with their intended meanings?  If so, where?  If not, then let's
>> make one.

> While taking a look at this idea, I bumped into the following in
> mac.c:

>    [...]  #ifndef MAC_OS_X [...]

> AFAICT it's the only occurrence of MAC_OS_X in an ifdef/ifndef,
> whereas there are many occurrences of MAC_OSX.  Is that a typo?

Yes, it is a typo and does not do harm at this particular place.  I
was planning to fix it when merging the Mac-related changes as of the
before-merge-multi-tty-to-trunk tag to EMACS_22_BASE after the Emacs
22.2 release.

And some comments about some Mac-related defines in admin/CPP-DEFINES:

> MAC_OS                Compiling for some version of Mac OS?

In short, it corresponds to (eq window-system 'mac), or is equivalent
to `MAC_OS8 || (MAC_OSX && HAVE_CARBON)'.  Currently it can be said as
"Compile support for the Mac native GUI", but this will no longer be
true if the Cocoa port is merged.

> MAC_OS8               Compiling for Mac OS version 8.  Requires MAC_OS?

Compiling for Mac OS Classic (8 or 9).

> MAC_OSX               Compiling for Mac OS X?  Is that also valid for Darwin?

Compiling for Mac OS X.  Not valid for bare Darwin.
Also, DARWIN should not be defined for Mac OS X because it is used for
distinguishing them in CoreFoundation.h.

> HAVE_CARBON   Compile support for the Carbon GUI.  Requires MAC_OS?

Yes.  For MAC_OS8, either of HAVE_CARBON and !HAVE_CARBON is possible
and the native GUI is used anyway.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden