Re: Can't debug perl and c at the same time?

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Can't debug perl and c at the same time?
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 18:45:14 +1300

 > I found that I can't debug using two interface of GUD at the same time,
 > because gud-def redefine commands every time when debug starts.

Yes.  Stefan Monnier has proposed a solution in

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2006-02/msg00052.html:

  I think a good first step would be to kill gud-def.
  Instead of gud sub-modes using

    (gud-def gud-break "break %f:%l"  "\C-b" "Set breakpoint at current line.")

  in their main function, we could have a top-level (for example)

    (define-gud-cmd gud-break "\C-b" "Set breakpoint at current line.")

  and then the gud sub-mode would only do something like

  (set (make-local-variable 'gud-break-cmd) "break %f:%l")

 > Although it rarely happens, but why gud didn't implement this feature?

I guess because, as you say, it's not normally a problem, and because no-one
has volunteered to do it.  Would you like to submit a patch (for the trunk)?