23.0.50; HELLO

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: 23.0.50; HELLO
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 15:16:57 +0100

Hello!

It looks as if the code for Tibetan greetings is incorrect. A few Emacsen of different versions can display the text, either in a windowing system or in a terminal emulation. And *all* cannot display it correctly. I am trying to copy first what is displayed in a terminal (example + second time):

        བཀྲ?་ཤིས་བདེ་ལེགས༎
Tibetan (བོད་སྐ?ད་) བཀྲ?་ ཤིས་བདེ་ལེགས༎

The forth character from the left obviously is not right (and also in the comment the last but one). Something similiar I can see in windowing Emacsen, although they display instead of a question mark a generic symbol 'last resort'.

There seems to be also a problem with Arabic:

        Arabic (ةّيبرعلا)                مكيلع مالّسلا

Interestingly the parentheses in the right column is here in the copy an opening one in a Latin script. In terminal in GNU Emacs it's a closing one in a Latin script, and it obviously belongs to the left column. A similiar effect happens with Hebrew with the ``)´´ parentheses.

In the "foreword" of non-ASCII examples the right-most text in the Middle/Near East line consists only of question marks ...

--
Greetings

  Pete

I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.
                                – Hunter S. Thompson