Re: Suggestion: Let the help command load autoloaded functions etc

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Let the help command load autoloaded functions etc
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:57:54 +0200

> Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 19:46:23 +0100
> From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > If help command load autoloaded functions, it'll be EXTREMELY annoying.
>
> Could you please explain why?

Because I don't expect my Emacs to load gobs of unneeded stuff just
because I wanted to see a doc string of a function.  If we wanted
that, we'd probably not put such a big effort into preloading only the
packages that are absolutely necessary.

Please don't forget that accessing a doc string could be utterly
unrelated to the specific function/variable whose doc string is being
accessed: for example, the various apropos commands scan _all_ the doc
strings; you don't suggest we load all of the related packages, do
you?