Re: doc-view support for bookmark.el

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: doc-view support for bookmark.el
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 19:43:56 +0100

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Martin,

>> When I was doing that I found some strange code:
>> bookmark-jump-noselect opened the bookmarked file, set point at the
>> correct position and returned a cons (BUFFER . POSITION).  All
>> calling functions did set the position once again.  I suspect that
>> was a relict of the past, so I removed it and now
>> bookmark-jump-noselect only returns the buffer.
>
> (defun bookmark-jump-noselect (str)
>         (save-excursion
>             (cons (current-buffer) (point))))
>
> The position might be in the same buffer where the excursion occurred,
> hence this is needed.

Ok, I get it.  But it's at least a bit ugly and hard-wired to bookmarks
that actually save the value of point.  We should come up with a better
way that allows bookmarking images, pdfs and everything else emacs can
display.  At least for those two examples there's no need to save the
value of point.

Bye,
Tassilo