Re: Can you ask some people to relicense their icons?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: Can you ask some people to relicense their icons?
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 16:22:29 -0600

    The files in etc/images are taken from GTK 2.x and Gnome 2.x, as
    [...]
    Released under the GNU General Public License, version 2.

rms asked me to follow up with the various copyright owners you found.
The information I have from Rodney Dawes is that the gnome-icon-theme
images are GPLv2 or later (not GPLv2-only), and the GTK+ icons, like all
of GTK+, are LGPLv2 or later.

When I downloaded the latest GTK+ tarball
(ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v2.10/), I didn't see anything to suggest
that it was anything but completely LGPLv2+.

When I downloaded the latest gnome-icon-theme tarball
(http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/gnome-icon-theme/2.21/), the
license situation was not clearly stated.  I'm asking Rodney to improve
that.

Hope this helps somehow ...
karl