Re: Commit practices

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Commit practices
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:29:35 -0500

    Your opposition to multiple file commits seems to be based on the
    assertion that this "bloats the log entries of each file, making them
    essentially _unusable_".

    It's hard to find this assertion valid.

Perhaps that's because what's useful for me is not the same as
what's useful for you.

    Even in that absurd case isearch is quite efficient.

Isearch is efficient on the ChangeLog file, too.  That makes it
possible to see all the entries for file foo, one by one.

What the CVS log does (when there are no multi-file checkins) is make
it possible to see all the entries for file foo, compactly, many at
once on a single screen.  Sometimes I find this a useful capability.
Just searching through ChangeLog doesn't do the same job.

Thus I proposed a feature for filtering the ChangeLog file as a new
way to do that job.