Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 16:09:06 +1300

> David Matuszek (star CS professor at UPenn) has been griping at me
> for years about things like features he relied upon disappearing
> during version upgrades.  He's made it very clear that he thinks this
> sort of thing is a symptom of inattention to what users are actually
> doing with the software by developers too obsessed with the next cool
> hack.  I think that counts as both software and project croticism.

Do you know if he reported these things to the mailing list?  I think we need
a reality check here:  Emacs is a voluntary project, and if users aren't
prepared to make bug reports then it's unlikely that any version control
system, no matter how good, will allow a handful to developers to avoid such
pitfalls.