RE: menu items

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: menu items
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 07:38:07 -0800

> > The menu items are too distracting.  I would like to see the key
> > bindings permanently greyed out as they are of secondary interest.
> > This probably flies in the face of convention, however, so how about
> > just removing the brackets surrounding the key binding?  This makes
> > them a bit quieter and does seem to follow convention ( =
> > expectation).
>
> I agree that brackets are confusing since some menu entries use
> brackets for other purposes (for instance, "Postscript Print Buffer (B+W)"
> displays "(B+W)" on the right side that looks like a key binding).
>
> Maybe a better format would be the same as used in the Emacs documentation
> with single quotes like `C-x C-w'?  This still causes less noise than
> brackets.

I'm against graying out (dimming) the binding , except possibly as a user
option. Dimming in a menu generally signifies that something is unavailable
in the current context.

I'm in favor of removing the parentheses. I'm against adding single quotes.
A binding is clearest in this context with nothing around it: C-' for
Control apostrophe. As long as the binding is set off from the item name by
a few spaces, it shouldn't need anything additional to identify it.