Re: doc-view-current-slice only used internally

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: doc-view-current-slice only used internally
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 18:47:30 +0100

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Robert,

> The cache is useful.  Without it, that is to say, when you first start
> doc-view-mode, an `emacs -Q -D' instance says the DVI to PNG
> conversion is pdf/ps->png, which is obviously an error.

No, it's not.  A dvi will be converted to pdf and that in turn is
converted to png.  That's needed cause ghostview doesn't work with dvi
files.

> Also, it takes a minute to convert the first thirty pages.  Put
> another way, it takes a very long time when your document has 173
> pages in it.

Yeah, since they need a 2-way conversion, dvi files take the longest
conversion time.

> xdvi takes less time than I can determine.

Well, xdvi can display dvi files natively, so there's no need to do a
time-consuming conversion before.

> Perhaps you can save time by checking whether xdvi exists on the
> computer and, if so, use it in Emacs.

Emacs cannot embed other windows.

> Incidently, when I have the cache and am starting a new instance of
> `emacs -Q -D', doc-view-mode seems to require that I go a page ahead
> to see the smaller slice

Yes, that is correct.  The first image will be displayed before
doc-view-mode-hook is run.

Bye,
Tassilo