Re: 23.0.50; display property and continuation arrows

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; display property and continuation arrows
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 00:34:37 +0100

On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 23:59:07 +0100 Jan Djärv <address@hidden> wrote:

> Stephen Berman skrev:
>> On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 18:40:43 +0100 Jan Djärv <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
>>> A futher observation.  If the character in the second column is a space, the
>>> bug does not appear.
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean: do you mean the position occupied by "e" in
>> the last occurrence of "testing" in my screen first shot?  If I make
>> this a space, I see no different behavior.  Also, what do you mean by
>> the "bug"?
>
> The bug == the appearance of an "empty" line.  Yes, the e in your screen shot.

Ok, but in this case there is no "empty" line only if you apply the
display property with the cursor over the "s" following the space,
i.e. the cursor is on the third column.  But that's also so if you leave
the "e", so the presence of the space is irrelevant.

What I'm really interested in is cases where the first column of the
continued line is a space and the last column of the first part of the
line contains a nonspace character, like the following:

Now, if the display property is applied to the second column, the result
is as follows:

But what I'd like to see as the result is this:

which is similar to what results if the display property is applied to
the first column, but that also deletes the last character of the first
part of the line, which I don't want.

Steve Berman