Re: Remove toggling behavior of minor modes when called from elisp

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Remove toggling behavior of minor modes when called from elisp
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 13:09:44 -0500

    I'm surprised to hear this, since when it was discussed on the list in
    2006, you agreed to it and asked to put it into etc/TODO:

I don't remember that previous discusson, so today I thought about it
afresh, and came to a different conclusion this time.  Perhaps it is
because you explained more in the previous conversation.

There is something in that old message that puzzles me:

    |     Not really.  It just means that the argument passed to the minor mode
    |     function in the absence of a prefix-arg won't be nil but will be
`toggle'.
    |     As a matter of fact, this is already the case.

I am puzzled by that last sentence; what is "already the case"?
Can you explain what is already the case?

Also, if we do this, we should change all the minor modes,
not just the ones defined by define-minor-mode.
The minor modes should remain consistent.