Re: Why Emacs needs a modern bug tracker

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Why Emacs needs a modern bug tracker
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 20:57:00 +0100

>     I don't know what ESR plans to do, but speaking from my technical
>     knowledge about the system I use: people would use email by default for
>     altering bug reports. You could add comentaries, assign owners, close,
>     and reopen them. The only requisite is that your e-mail message should
>     carry a prominent, non-ambiguous command and a reference to the bug
>     report. This is usually a number plus some marker, such as #1341.
>
> That sounds ok, so far.  Can you show me what a couple of these
> messages look like?

This would work:

Subject: [some-bug-id] Normal subject text
Message Body:
COMMAND (Optional, if missing the system assumes it's a commentary. A
command could be INVALID, WONTFIX, CLOSE, REOPEN, ASSIGN-TO, etc).
Normal text body.

For instance:

----- Begins e-mail:

From: address@hidden
Subject: #2349 Display corrupted on X.
Message Body:
CLOSE

Just committed a fix and blah, blah, blah.

----- Ends e-mail.

That's all.

There are quite a few details to consider, depending on the exact policy
we want to follow. But overall, the use would be no more complex than
the examples above.

> Also, what is the name of this bug tracker?  We need to think about
> which one to use.  We can't just rush to enable _any old_ bug tracker.

Trac: http://trac.edgewall.org/

It nicely integrates a bug tracker, a browser for the VCS and a Wiki (it
does not force you to use everything).

--
Oscar