Re: 23.0.50; DISPLAY env var bug on w32?

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; DISPLAY env var bug on w32?
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 21:13:29 +0000 (UTC)

Lennart Borgman wrote,

    To reproduce the problem do

       emacs -Q
       M-x server-mode

    Then from the command line try to open a file, for example

       emacsclient.exe COPYING

    This fails with the message

       C:\emacs\u\080104\emacs\bin>emacsclient.exe COPYING
       Waiting for Emacs...
       *ERROR*: Don't know how to create a frame on window system x

I see COPYING on a GNU/Linux Debian distribution with the CVS instance
updated this morning at 10:47 UTC when I do

       /usr/local/src/emacs/src/emacs -Q
       M-x server-mode

with the use of

    emacsclient /usr/local/src/emacs/etc/COPYING

The value of the DISPLAY variable is:

    echo $DISPLAY
    :0.0

Also, I can cause COPYING to appear in another frame with

    emacsclient -c /usr/local/src/emacs/etc/COPYING

As far as I know, Microsoft uses backslashes rather than forward
slashes; if so and you are using Microsoft only operating system,
unless you do something else, your example would not know of the X
Windowing system.

I see

    Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
    configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --cflags -Ic:/g/include'

Does that windowing system know about the X Windowing system?

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    address@hidden                         address@hidden