RE: `Q' in Dired - be able to skip the rest of one file and move onto th

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: `Q' in Dired - be able to skip the rest of one file and move onto the next
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 16:33:49 -0800

> I think this is too weird trick to quit the query-replace
> operation with M-> and resume it with tags-loop-continue M-,.
> Maybe instead of this we should try implementing native
> (i.e. without using etags) multi-file query-replace
> similar to recently implemented multi-file isearch?

What was wrong with your first suggestion (and Miles's):

>> Maybe, when started by `Q', query-replace should apply `!' to all
>> marked files, and a new key `Y' should replace all remaining
>> occurrences in the current file, and a new key `N' should skip
>> the current file as Miles has already proposed.

But I'd keep the single-file meaning of all keys, including `!', and use a
different key to replace all remaining occurrences in this file and the
other files. It's not good for a key (e.g. `!') to change meaning, depending
on whether one file or several are searched.