Re: dVCS vs. CVS

From: Michael Olson
Subject: Re: dVCS vs. CVS
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 21:46:29 -0500

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

> Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi Alan,
>
>>> So basically the only difference is that you have to commit to your
>>> local repository.  As long as you don't use more advanced functions
>>> of the dVCS, there's nothing more complicated.
>>
>> Sorry, but no.  What makes it complicated are all the other things
>> that you don't want to use.  The things that are there, but you are
>> forced to ignore.
>
> You can shoot yourself in the foot with CVS, too.  But it's easy to
> give non-programmers a recipe how they can work with a dVCS as well as
> it is possible with CVS now.

Even for programmers, a recipe for how to use the current dVCS is
useful.  Every one of the projects I maintain has its own quickstart
guide for how to use git, tailored to the location of the repository for
each project, and its active branches.

Here they are:

 - http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/ErcDevelopment
 - http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/MuseDevelopment
 - http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PlannerDevelopment

--
       Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652     |
 http://mwolson.org/ -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net  |  /` |\ | | |